Wednesday, February 24, 2010

remember when.....

Tyler is doing speech for Lads 2 Leaders, and he has decided he wants to talk about his birth story. I told him that would be a great idea, the theme for this years convention is Faith is the Victory ...Hebrews. I am loving that he choose this topic because it has given me a real opportunity to "remember when" that day was such a blur to me, and in all honesty I do not think that I let myself remember everything about that day. Since working on this speech I feel all the emotions of that day just like it happened yesterday. So I thought I would blog about that day, if for nothing else just to help me "remember when"... First off, Tyler was such a blessing in more ways then you can even imagine. After losing 3 babies in one year, we were told we probably could not have children of our own. I was devastated all I have ever wanted is to be a mother...my senior prophecy in high school was that I would be a mother of 8 children!! can you imagine 8??? haha...shhh don't tell anyone but I so would love to have more... So needless to say that finding out we were pregnant with Tyler was not exactly a good thing..I knew I could never carry a baby to full term, I was angry,scared, and really confused on why God would allow me to go through another heartbreaking loss. As the pregnancy progressed it became a real possibility that Warren and I were going to be parents...we were thrilled, scared to death but THRILLED beyond measure. So the day finally came that he was to be born..January 16 I was to be induced... We were told to be at the hospital by 6 am..we arrive and get all checked in, we were all settled in and ready to get the show on the road. By noon I was in pain, ready for my epidural, but everything was going as planned. Family and friends were there and (after the epidural :) ) it was like having a party. Well, by 9 that night I had not progressed as the dr. would of liked, so they told me that Tyler was turned face up and as he came down he turned his head...he was stuck ...so he suggested a c-section...I begged him please no...so he told me the nurses would turn me from side to side for 15 minutes and he would come back to see where we were...well that went on for another 45 minutes until he finally told me..its time to have this baby. By this time I was exhausted!! and just ready to have my Tyler..so off to the operating room we went..I must put a WARNING on this next part..not that I plan on getting graphic but this is the part of the story where it begins to get intense...and did not go near as we had planned!!! I started having a hard time breathing almost immediately after they upped my epidural, it was scary...but I tried to stay as calm as I could. They finally bring Warren into the room and he sat by my head, he was great,he kept me calm. The dr. pinches my stomach and I just about jump off the table..I felt it?? wait I have an epidural how did I feel it?? well, they are not sure but they tell me hang in there let them get the baby out and they will give me something as soon as the baby is out. What?? you mean I am going to feel this?? YES...I felt it all...cold tools, everything..Warren is the only reason i stayed as calm as I did....he was my rock!! I remember praying with him..I remember him telling me it is almost over...that I was doing great..him rubbing my hair and face telling me to breathe and to know if he could do it for me he would. Now this is the part of the story that him and I defer on...haha I know right! I remember them showing me Tyler over the curtain..and my first thought was he looked like my papaw that had passed away...and it made me smile...then I was asleep..they gave me some good stuff!! oh the relief I can not even explain. Warren watched them clean him up and hand him over to him..he says he walked to me and that I talked to him and Tyler...I don't remember that part, in fact I don't remember anything till I am back in a room, and Warren walks in WITHOUT Tyler!! I know this post is long and if you are still reading..thank you..I am not going to finish the story today but I will leave you with the intro to Tyler's speech..remember this part has been told to me, I did not live this part you see I was still out cold in the operating room... The dad beamed with pride as he carried his new born son out of the operating room and into the hallway to meet his family for the first time. After grandparents, aunts and uncles got a good look at the little one and pictures had been taken the dad took the baby to the hospital nursery to get weighed and cleaned up the family looked through the nursery windows and watched the nurses start to clean the baby up and then they did something very strange they closed the shades on the window so that no one could see in. The family thought that was odd but did not really think much about it, until the Dr. came around the corner and asked to speak to the father. The dr. lead the father to a small room where he sat him down and told him that the baby was to be transferred by ambulance to the NICU at a bigger hospital about an hour down the road. The Dr. went on to say that the new baby had a small hole in his back and that he would need more testing done, the Dr. also said that they were afraid the baby had spina bifida and that he was going to paralyzed and in a wheel chair if not completely bed ridden. The father thought to himself how did this day that had started out so joyous and happy suddenly turn into a night full of questions and worries? Even though the young father was scared for his new baby, he was positive that his son would be ok, he knew that no matter what he loved his son, he had faith that everything would be ok, and he was very thankful to God for this blessing. to be continued....

1 comment:

Simmons Family said...

ok so I was crying by the end of your post!! I can't imagine! I am hanging on edge till the rest of this blog!!