Thursday, September 4, 2008

Oh My Goodness...

"Oh my goodness..really??? I am in awe right now!! How do we have that much stuff that we do not use or need?? I am almost..no I am embarrassed of all this stuff!!" This is something I said over and over today. I have been preparing for a yard sale this weekend and going through all of our things from clothes to toys to everyday items that we do not use anymore...and I can not believe my eyes!! How in the world did the kids get so much and why do they not use it or play with half of it?? Its funny that we live in a world that is all about bigger and better and more more more..and I thought as a parent I was doing a decent job of teaching my kids that less is better and you appreciate things more...but looking at this ever growing mountain of toys and clothes, I see I am not doing a good job of that at all. So, tonight I reminded the kids that when they got home from school tomorrow most of, if not all of their toys would be packed up and taken to Nanny's for the yard sale. I really thought that they would whine or complain or even ask why?? but to my surprise all they said was.."ok, mom!" So, I guess that is my cue that it is time to get rid of them and to not look back. It got me thinking why is it we tend to hang on to things, or get things we do not need, when there are kids in the world going to bed hungry? or not having anything to play with other then a plastic bottle, or clothes that are too small or too big, or shoes that do not fit?? Yet again my kids help me have another "reflection" moment and since I am seeing myself in my true "reflection" alot here lately I have to say I am not liking what I see at all. I have alot that I need to change and work on, and it is amazing to me how humbling it can be to see your "reflection" !! So I want to ask you, If you took a good look at your "reflection" would you like what you are seeing??

No comments: