Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Trying to lead by example....

Ok so as I type this entry please know that I am one for rules and I even think that this years school uniforms is a great idea. I am all for it!!! My son Tyler has been in school for3 days and so far we are 2 for 2 on not being in the new dress code. I am trying here, I really am! I have taken the rules and guidelines with me shopping I have found what I thought to be "in code" clothes only to find out that they are NOT. On the first day it was my fault completely, I really thought that the shorts I put him in would be ok...I mean they only had a small "fake" pocket on the leg...WRONG the pants can have only 4 pockets. Which mean no cargo, no carpenter pants, or anything that resembles a pocket. OK not a big deal I will just not let him wear those anymore. Then the second day there were a few questions about the jean shorts he wore because they had a tag on the back pocket that was sewn on that was a little over the 2 i/2 inches that it could be...(seriously on that one I did not even know that it had a tag on the pocket..who thinks to look at that??) So as you can see I have had two days that have been very frustrating and not easy to keep my cool. I am trying to show my kids that just because we do not understand every reason or every purpose behind every rule and stipulation we still have to follow them. That it is not always easy and sometimes is not fun at all (especially when it comes to spending more money...ouch) and that we are sometimes suppose to lead others by examples, including the way we dress, the way we handle situations, and the way we obey rules and laws. It is funny that I am trying to explain this to my 7 yr old when I have been struggling with it myself , on matters bigger then the dress code at school, but about my relationship with the Lord. Tyler got in the car yesterday and the 1st thing he said was "I do not like this dress code thing at all, it is kinda dumb mom" I told him that it may seem that way to him, but that there are good reasons that they are doing this and that we will just have to try harder to get "in code", and that it will all work out. He replied with a " I wish they would hurry up and tell me why I have to look like a nerd, to learn at school." I had to turn my head so he would not see me crack a smile and stifle a giggle...because I have to say that as the days go on I too am finding this dress code thing a little dumb!!!

5 comments:

begins with v said...

arrgg! dresscodes! Sometimes they can be good and sometimes they can be a hassle.

I LOVE the look of your blog! It is beautiful!

Apple said...

My virtue of my job, my dresscode is scrubs which I L-O-V-E, love. Comfortable and little thought.

As far as schools go, I have to say that I'm starting to see the positives of a dress code. My hubby is a high school teacher and if these girls shirts get any lower, their shorts get any shorter or the boys shorts get any lower...we're all going to be looking at naked kids. And while I think they are being ridiculously strict on a 7 year old...it seems, from experience, that you have to be tough or everything just starts to slip. As is the case at my husband's school.

On top of that, I've heard that in some areas where dress codes are enforced, they have to be super strict on things like tags and pockets or gang members start to use little things like a 4th pocket or a red tag on their pants to identify themselves. I'm pretty sure that you don't have to worry about that with 7 year olds and maybe not even in your area...but I know that has been the case in some places.

I know this is much more information that you care about and I completely get your point. I probably wouldn't have done so well at stifling the giggle. :)

Stephanie Anderson said...

You'll get it down soon. And, once you do, just think of how easy it will be to get them dressed in the morning!

Steph

Valerie said...

I'm cracking up at Tyler's comment. In fact, I think I'm going to do a post linking it to yours... if that's okay?
Oh that child is funny.
I, personally, think strict dresscodes are kind of dumb too.... well, at least the ones you are speaking of sound a little silly.

Kari said...

Valerie
My son is just like his father..they are the comedians and I try hard to not laugh and smile because they always do it when the moment is suppose to be serious or a great leasson is being taught...I should have named him Warren Jr!!! That is fine about linking to this...I loved the pics of Zoe she is growing so fast