Friday, June 6, 2008

New medicine...

Emily Klair has been on so many different medicines since being diagnosed with seizures, you would think that changing it one more time would be not a big deal to us. We went to her peds. nuero. a couple weeks ago and he wanted to change up some of her medicine to see if we can get her a little better controlled, and because she is starting kindergarten in the fall, he seems to think she needs one that is also a mood stabilizer. She also has sensory integration dysfunction.

I like the medicine she is on now and think that it has done the best to control her, but he is the Dr. and that is what we pay him the big bucks for,right? So I agreed to try this new medicine...well we have been on it for two weeks and counting along with her old medicine still, and we have had two seizures this week...so I'm thinking "why am I messing with her medicine?" One of those seizures happened while we were swimming in a friends pool and luckily I was in the water with her. I have always worried about her having seizures when I am not with her but this latest one opened my mind to a world of thoughts and fears I had yet to think about, but as she is getting older there are new fears and concerns.

We have to go next week and get some blood work done to make sure that it is OK for her to take this new medicine...scary thought that I am giving her something that could be poisoning her! She is doing great with it and even reminds me that we have to take both...the kid is amazing at taking medicine (but then again she has been taking something everyday since she was just months old) This is one of the times in my life that I wonder if I am doing the right/best thing for her?? I mean I know she needs medicine to control the seizures but sometimes I feel like we are overdoing! (but then again she is still having the seizures so I guess we are not overdoing, right?)

3 comments:

Stephanie Anderson said...

I don't have daily meds to worry about with my kids, but I do worry that I may not be doing enough for certain things. You know Tate has problems with social skills and he also has sensory issues. I have chosen to not seek out specialized help yet and have chose to just deal with the issues as they arise. But sometimes I wonder if I'm doing enough. Could he be a better student or better behaved if we worked harder on the sensory stuff? I don't know. It could be worth a try. I'm afraid that down the road I may regret not doing something now. Like I said, these aren't life or death health issues and I worry about them everyday. So I know your burden must be heavy. What sensory issues are you dealing with right now? I'm a pretty good spotter and she looked like she was doing great Memorial Day weekend. You must be doing something right!

Steph

Kari said...

Steph..I think that it is a mother's job to always be worried about something...

You are doing a great job with Tate...I think he is doing great!! You are a great mother.

Emily Klair does not take anything for the SI other then her OT and we have been done with that for about 6 months now...I am hoping that the Dr. is wanting to change meds b/c the one she is on and has been on for 3 years can make school age children more aggressive and some other side effects we did not need to worry about as much as a little one, but as she gets older it could be bad...atleast I think that is part of it and the bigger part of it is that he thinks she needs to be more controlled then she has been here lately..who knows??

She really has been doing great here lately with the SI but everytime a seizure cycle (as we have started calling them)happens her SI gets worse..Thanks for the encouragement...

by the way..I want to send you some pics when we get back from the beach and you do me a header like yours..please :)I love yours!!

Amanda said...

It's the dichotomy of parenting...am I doing enough or too much??? I wonder a lot. I can speak for me and Steph that our line of work makes us hypersensitive to identifying kids with disorders. Mason and Tate seem more alike every day. You should see them together and then see Addie and Avery together...night and day. Anyway, I have no advice about seizures. I know very little in that area. But, I can imagine that SI would be closely linked. I also know that SI can be affected by a lot of meds, which you guys have. I'm anxious to see how the mood stabilizer will work for her. Our OT is going great and I thank God daily for a getting hooked up with a genius OT.

One thing though, you will ALWAYS know Emmy better than any doctor or teacher. I see too many doctors who get caught up in the rotating door of patients and overlook a parent's concern. But, sometimes they over-react, espcecially with meds. It's an easy fix. Just some advice from someone who knows very little!