Saturday, January 29, 2011

Right place right time...

Do you ever feel like God had a hand in where you are at a certain place and time?? Well that happened to us today. We were on our way to the grocery store after Tyler's bball game this afternoon and as we pulled into the parking lot I saw the SUBWAY restaurant that is in the same shopping complex and I said to Warren " yum SUBWAY sounds good today." He agreed so we ended up changing our plans and headed into the restaurant. When we walked in we noticed it was super hot in there, and it was kinda hard to breathe. As we were ordering a young girl (probably 19-21) walked in and you could tell she had been working out, work out clothes, red face, sweaty hair. She got into line behind us, we were done ordering and was paying our bill when she sat down to wait for her food to be made, and us to get out of her way. In a second of sitting down she went into a full grand mal seizure! Warren and I ran to her, Warren grabbed her head and held her shoulders while I got down and got her bottom half (we know not to normally touch a person other then to make sure they are not injuring their head, but she was sitting in a chair..so we were not holding her down we were barely holding her just enough to keep her from hitting her head or hurting herself) we knew what to do, what to watch for, if she stopped breathing and to look at the clock and see how long it lasted, and most importantly how to stay calm. She came out of it pretty quickly, and refused the ambulance the employees had called for. We sat with her for a while, got her a drink, and a cool rag, and paid for her meal. We shared with her how our children both have epilepsy, and asked if she had ever had this done before, she said only once and that it had been when she had gotten too hot. We offered to take her home, because I really knew she shouldn't be driving, but she said she lived just around the corner, so we told her we hoped she felt better soon, and to make sure to let her dr. know what had happened. She was embarrassed and hated that we had already paid for her meal, and was just ready to get home. I have thought about her the rest of the day, I hope she made it home, I hope she doesn't live alone, I hope she called someone and I hope she follows up and calls the dr.. I cried when she left, and I really was a bundle of nerves. I was shaken, it was scary and we had handled it calmly, but afterwards I couldn't stop thinking about Emily Klair and Tyler being that age and having a seizure in a public place and how I hope there are people there that now what to do. I thought lots of things after our visit to SUBWAY, and I do believe with all my heart that we were meant to be there today.

2 comments:

Simmons Family said...

You are such a good person Kari! Just wanted you to know you are someone I really look up to and admire! It's so obivious that you are such a wonderful mother and I hope that I show the love that you do your kids to mine!
I don't know what I would have done in that situation but God put you in that situation to help that girl! Hope you have a good week and know that we are praying for yall and Tyler with his new diagnosis.

Natalie said...

Amazing story!!!

I really hope she goes and gets the help she needs!